Monday, June 20, 2011

Why can't Garden be Home and Garden?

I wanted to mention a couple of new things that I love.

My husband and I are coffee fiends. Not snobs. Fiends. We aren't particularly picky. Until now, I've enjoyed my coffee hot, dark-roasted, and strong. He prefers hot, medium roast, medium strength, with half and half. We haven't been iced coffee or frappuccino-type drink fans until now.

I find myself reaching for the Vietnamese Iced Coffee - that Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond loves - about five times a day. Fiend indeed. My husband loves this recipe too. It goes down easily! It was first mentioned here, at Imbibe.

On a similar note, my kids have become waffle fiends this summer, and I've been wanting to use up some leftover buttermilk. So I've been preparing Grandma's Buttermilk Waffles. I add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the batter. These waffles don't have the added sugar that most waffles do, hence the vanilla. I think that if you top waffles with syrup, they don't need to be full of sugar. And a sugar-free waffle leaves open the possibility of someday making a savory waffle like the triple b (bacon, brie, and basil) waffle that places like The Ridgeback Cafe and others in the Pacific Northwest serve. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment