Monday, June 27, 2011

Wildflowers, Weeds, and Blessings

Today I want to write about the weeds that look like flowers that we've kept. Please bear with my post-in-progress.

First: my husband loves the spiderwort. He insisted that it's an iris. Admittedly, this is a fascinating and attractive plant that opens and closes daily. This is an apparent bird blessing that appeared in our flower bed.


Many thanks to my sister for identifying this for us.

Next: we have Dame's Rocket all over our property. This one, we don't so much love as we've given up fighting. In many states, this is a nuisance plant.


The Michigan Bear forum was a great help to me in identifying this weed.

Finally, we have this new, five-leafed, adorable wildflower. I'm trying to identify it. There are several little patches of this around, and I think it's so cute.


Update: I got excited for a moment, thinking this is Yellow Evening Primrose (sounds important). But I think the leaves of this are wrong. Things it's not: Maryland Golden Aster; Sundrops (would have been cool); Lance-Leaved Tickseed.

Update: I believe this is a buttercup. It may be a prairie buttercup or a swamp buttercup, or it may be celandine (which is a type of buttercup). Or is it a Yellow Gem Potentilla?

Final update: Potentilla Arenaria.

No comments:

Post a Comment